One of the oldest Mushtaidi parks in Tbilisi was founded in the 1930s. The first garden on an area of 5 hectares was opened in 1828 by Mir Fetekh-Agha Seyed Tavrizi, who came to Georgia from Iran. He was the mujtahid of the Shiite religious leader in Iranian Azerbaijan. It was from his clerical rank that the name of the garden, Mushtaid, came from.
Petekh-Agha Seyed Tavriz from a noble family, highly educated, eloquent. Was very kind, generous and forgiving. That’s why everyone loved him and he had a big name. Mushtaq was taken over by the Russian government and put in his service, which is why the Shah of Iran forbade him to return to his homeland. Mushtaid settled in Tbilisi. Authorities allowed the theological school to open, and for this they even allocated a plot of land on the left bank of the Mtkvari, where he planted a wonderful garden. At the same time, it has built a tunnel and an irrigation canal from the Mtkvari.
The establishment of the Mushtaid Garden is based on a very sad story. Mushtaid married a beautiful Georgian woman – Nino, who bought him at the captive market in Istanbul. Expelled from Iran, he chose Tbilisi as his residence at his request. The woman will not be able to see her parents alive in Tbilisi, she became ill from grief and did not live long, she died in six months.
Mushtaq’s beloved wife was buried in front of the house and planted a lot of red roses on the grave, mourning his beloved wife, in the evenings he sat for a long time at his wife’s grave. A large number of roses, flowers, shrubs and trees were planted around the tomb, thus beginning the cultivation of this magnificent garden, which has long been referred to as the Mushtaid Garden. To irrigate the garden, Mushtaid built a 12-kilometer canal from the Mtkvari.
The Shah pardoned Mushtaq and in 1845 he also returned to Tabriz, selling the garden to a merchant. After that the garden changed its owner several times and finally became a walking garden. The governor enlarged and beautified the garden of Mushtaid and made it a place for walking and swimming. There was a lot of entertainment and entertainment here: a restaurant, a buffet, a pavilion *, a summer theater.
It was on the open stage of the Mushtaidi Garden that Niko Pirosmani first saw the French singer Margarita. Concerts in the garden were also held by others. Exhibitions were organized here, inviting guests. It was from here that the first air balloon in the Caucasus was launched in 1882.
Arthur Laist, a well-known German writer who is extremely in love with Georgia, thinks of Mushtaid: “Mushtaidi and its nearby gardens are a real center of public life here. Every evening, from five o’clock to midnight, there is a heated pastime, really fun and noisy, because Georgians love baas during the party. Mushtaid is a vast and beautiful garden on the banks of the Mtkvari, surrounded by alleys, where they walk in wheelchairs and on foot. On both sides of these alleys are bushes of wild roses and other plants, and on the upper trees there are vines overgrown with bunches of grapes. The best society of Tbilisi gathers every evening in this green, shaded garden. ”
Tens of thousands of unique plant varieties are grown in the Mushtaidi Garden, including deciduous: Gledichia, elm, ash, soap tree, paper tree, mulberry, as well as coniferous: Eldar pine, cedar, team tree, many other shrubs and flowers, vine varieties and more. . The park is cultivated on an area of 16 hectares. It also has its own nursery, from which tens of thousands of ornamental plants and flower seedlings are grown every year. Chinese and Goruli vine varieties are happy in the vine alley.
In 1887, under the leadership of naturalist Nikoloz Shavrov, the Caucasus Silk Station was established on the territory of the garden.
In 1935, the world’s first children’s railway with three stations was opened in the Mushtaidi Garden.
In 1950, a planetarium was organized with the help of the Department of Astronomy of Tbilisi State University.
One of the sights of the garden is the relict tree, Dzelkvi grove.
Since then, they have tried many times to change the name of the garden: sometimes it was named after the railwaymen, sometimes after Orjonikidze, but finally it regained the name of its founder, the Persian from Tbilisi, Mushtaid.